My Viviscal Hair Commercial Experience

So....apparently everyone and their mother is watching tv during this quarantine and evidently some of y'all have seen the Viviscal hair commercial that I was in that started airing within the past couple of months.  Here is the link that I have to what I "think" is the longer version of the commercial. You can find the version that I think is airing currently here. Anyway, I figure now is as good of a time as any to give you the run down.
Pictured: Outfit #1 for the commercial
                                                                                   

How was I "discovered?"

Last fall, around late October/early November 2019, someone from @viviscal left a comment under one of my photos from January 2019 (where I'd tagged the brand). The comment said that "there is an opportunity that I might be interested in, and if I wanted more information I should send a DM." While I was skeptical, I nevertheless sent a DM and subsequently received a link to apply to be on the commercial. While I don't remember all of the details about the application process, I think I initially filled out a form, sent a photo and perhaps a short video explaining why I liked using Viviscal.  A couple of weeks after that, I participated on at least two phone screens/interviews. Then, I found out that I was selected. Viviscal wanted to use real women who used their products in the commercial. Plus, they didn't want me to change a single thing about my natural hair (which was a huge relief.)

Pictured: Hanging out with @curlysoph
Did I actually use the product prior to doing the commercial?

Yes I did! I learned about the product from my Mom. I wanted my hair to grow faster #shrinkageisreal. My Mom encouraged me to use the Viviscal Pro supplements.  While Viviscal is typically used for women who experienced hair loss, I used it to expedite my hair growth. I am fairly sure that I started taking it around Fall 2018.

Did I enjoy being in the commerical?

Pictured: Runyon Canyon hike

Being in the commercial was pretty fun. The other women in the commercial were from all over the US. We bonded pretty quickly and after a day or two, it felt like we'd known each other for quite some time.  It was nice to get our hair, makeup and nails done, and to have different outfits selected for us etc.  I discovered that I have an affinity for platform white chucks with dresses. (Seriously, I never wore high tops unless I was playing basketball until this shoot. Now I want all the high tops!)  I also got to hike Runyon Canyon (which was a wonderful experience.)

Would I be in a hair commercial again?


Pictured: Outfit #2 for B-roll on the spin bike

Sure! Why not? It was fun, low pressure, and I was able to meet cool friends, listen to Beyonce while I rode a spin bike for B-roll (yes I requested it, and they were like "uhhh yes.") Representation is so important. For so many years I thought that straight hair was "better" and "more professional." While it might be a long shot, I hope that a young black girl or a black woman will see themselves in me and remember that their naturally curly hair is beautiful.

Comments

Popular Posts