Glycerin: What is it? How does it Impact Natural Hair?

Glycerin is a product that is commonly found in hair products. It is beneficial to our hair because it is a moisturizer. It is also a humectant meaning that it draws moisture from the air into your hair. Some naturals love glycerin for its softening and moisturizing properties while others tend to avoid it, particularly during the summer months when the air is hot and humid. I live in the DMV which is notoriously humid and hot during the summer months. Thus, I try to avoid styling products with glycerin in an effort to extend the life of my hair styles. 

In the era of quarantining due to COVID-19,  I have pretty much stayed at home except for my walks with our dog, Ali. Before and after those walks, depending on the products I've used in my hair, my hair can look quite different. :) I typically style my hair with a leave-in conditioner and gel/jelly of some sort. If the gel has glycerin in it at all, particularly high up on the ingredient list, I find that after those long walks with Ali, my hair tends to get pretty frizzy. 

If I want my "wash and go" to last at least 3-4 days during the summer months, I typically try to use a glycerin free gel. My two current favorite gels to use for a wash and go are Camille Rose's Curlmaker and Ecoslay's Orange Marmalade Gel. In the past, I have also used the My Soigne Flaxseed Gel, Uncle Funky's Curly Magic, and Curl Junkie's Pattern Pusha Gel. For twist-outs, I enjoy using the Up North Naturals 8-Oil Gelly and/or Curl Ease Styling Lotion as both of those products are glycerin-free, provide hold, and are moisturizing too. 

Do you like using glycerin in your styling products? Or do you tend to avoid using styling products with glycerin during the summer months? Comment below to share more about your experience!



Comments

  1. I’ve been running away from glycerin lately. I live in the South and it’s a whole different ballgame when it comes to glycerin induced Frizz! I love Uncle Funky’s Daughter Curly Magic and Curls Blueberry Bliss stylers. They are perfect for my fine curls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get it! I haven't used the Curls blueberry gel in ages. I think the last time was around fall/winter 2017. So glad you have found stylers that work for you in this heat!

      Delete
  2. I'm also in the south and definitely stay away from glycerin. You already know my all time favorite is UFD Curly Magic! Curl Junkie is a brand that I still haven't tried. I've always heard good things about the Pattern Pusha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to try your combo of UFD with kinky curly knot today. I think UFD is more moisturizing than PP.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts