Vida Shampoo and Conditioner Bars: Eco Friendly and Designed for Curly Hair

Have you heard of or tried shampoo and conditioner bars? I tried them in the past from other brands to no avail. However, due to my product junkie nature, I was intrigued when I heard that Vida Bars, a Latina/woman-owned brand, are designed specifically for curly hair. Currently, there are four different sets: Hydrate, Growth, Clarity, and Balance. I ordered the Hydrate and Growth shampoo/conditioner sets.


Hydrate Conditioner Bar (left) Hydrate Shampoo Bar (right)


PROS

1) The products are sustainable. By using these bars, you are doing something good for the environment by avoiding the typical plastic packaging of shampoos and conditioners. 

2) Each bar lasts for roughly 75 washes or is the equivalent of 2-3 bottles. 

3) The shampoo bars create a lather really easily. The founder of Vida Bars has a video showing how she applies the products which is extremely helpful. Essentially, once your hair is wet in the shower, you rub the wet shampoo bar into your scalp and it creates an excellent lather.

4) The bars are travel-friendly. Given COVID-19, I ain't going anywhere, but if/when I do travel, I would be pleased to bring these products with me.

5) The Hydrate shampoo bar does not strip my hair.

6) Clean and safe ingredients are used (i.e. no sulfates, silicones, parabens, mineral oil, or phthalates.)

7) The products are color-safe. 

8) I enjoy applying the conditioner bar (and leaving the conditioner in) before I apply my deep conditioner. It creates a solid foundation so that I end up having to use less of my deep conditioner. 

9) The scent is light, natural and clean. 

10) The cost of these products is completely reasonable. And now the bars are sold separately. $13 for a shampoo bar that is the equivalent of 2-3 shampoo bottles is a great deal. 

CONS

1) The Growth Shampoo Bar is not as moisturizing as I would like. I will likely use this one 1-2x a month, whereas I am comfortable using the Hydrate Shampoo weekly. 

2) The conditioner bars are a little harder to use than the shampoo bars. I really have to rub the conditioner bar into the lengths of my hair to try to saturate my hair with product. I typically prefer a thicker conditioner. This conditioner is very light and so I would not use it alone.

Will I re-purchase these products? I will definitely re-purchase the Hydrate Bars. I am on the fence about the Growth Bars only because they are not as moisturizing as I would like. They aren't stripping per se, but my hair always craves moisture. 

Interested in using products with safe/clean ingredients, designed for curly hair that also are good for the environment? Check out Vida Bars.

                                                                                                            - Rachel

Comments

Popular Posts